Oily fish naturally contain Omega-3, which means that these fish can be a great source of health benefits
It’s recommended that adults (including pregnant women, and women who are trying to conceive) eat two portions of fish every week, and one of these (around 140g) should be oily fish.
But which types of fish are classed as oily fish? How can you incorporate them into your diet? What are the health benefits of oily fish? And how can you still benefit from these if you don’t actually like seafood? Let’s take a look…
Types of Oily Fish
Oily fish contain higher levels of Omega-3 fatty acids than white fish, such as cod and haddock.
Types of oily fish include:
Oily Fish Recipe Ideas
If you’re looking for inspiration for including more oily fish into your diet, check out these Omega-3 recipes:
- Anchovy pasta, and other Omega-3 dinner ideas
- Kipper kedgeree
- Mediterranean-style tuna steaks
- Salmon poke bowl
- Smoked salmon blinis, and other festive Omega-3 recipes
Oily Fish Health Benefits
- EPA and DHA play a key role in membrane structure; DHA is a key structural component of the skin
- EPA and DHA are proven to contribute to normal heart function
- DHA plays a key role in visual and cognitive development during gestation
- DHA is proven to help with normal eye and brain development in unborn children and breastfed infants
- DHA contributes to healthy brain function and vision
- Omega-3 may help to support a healthy microbiome
What are the Health Benefits of Fish Oil?
If you’re not a fan of eating seafood, Omega-3 fish oil supplements are a great alternative way to experience the benefits of oily fish.
At MINAMI®, our fish oil supplements are made using small species of oily fish, including anchovies, sardines and mackerel, which aren’t at risk from the problem of overfishing.
MINAMI® Omega-3 fish oil is sourced from specific types of oily fish. We explain why here.
We use sustainable extraction methods to source the fish oil, to make sure you’re getting a high-concentration Omega-3 supplement that’s as pure as possible.
Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements from MINAMI®
Our range of Omega-3 fish oil features supplements tailored to different health needs, from prenatal Omega-3 supplements to fish oil supplements designed to help you to look after your cholesterol levels.